Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Slowing Down in the Technological Age


            I love the week between Christmas and New Year’s.  I love it because I get to slow down.  I get to think.  I get to read.  And I get to write.
            For much of the year, technology drives my life.  And I’m not even as wired as many people.  I haven’t taken the plunge and purchased a tablet, although I do look longingly at them and think about it.  I do not have a smart phone, and I don’t look longingly at them.  But I have a PC and a laptop.  I receive and send text messages and email.  I keep up with social media both socially and for my job.  And I teach college classes online.  Technology drives my life.
            Yes, I know.  I am using technology by typing this using my word processor programming and by posting it online for you to read.  But this week, I am in the driver’s seat.  Technology is under my direction instead of dictating what I do and when.
            For the week between Christmas and New Year’s, I get to read for pleasure and for the love of knowledge than strictly for need or to meet the next deadline.  I get to hold a real live book and let me eyes glide over the pages instead of staring at a screen and making sure I blink enough and look away occasionally.  My eyes get a much needed break.
            I can ignore my cell phone and return calls when it’s convenient to me.  Hell, I can even turn off my cell phone or leave it behind for a while.  The same goes for emails because I can take time away from my office.
            So this week, I get to use technology for pleasure when I want, and I get to ignore it at my leisure.  I’m in the driver’s seat, and I’m slowing down and enjoying the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment