Monday, February 4, 2013

Do I Really Need that Smart Phone or Tablet?


            Don’t laugh, but I don’t have a smart phone or a tablet.  Yes, here I am a Web designer who keeps up on technology trends, and I do not have or use the latest and greatest gadgets to boast about.
            I read about them, and I try them in the store, yet I haven’t taken the plunge and bought any of them yet. 
            The reason for not having a smart phone is easy.  I’m not yet ready to add yet another expense of a data plan to my monthly bills.  I cannot justify the expense when I work from home and have little need to access the Internet when I leave my office.  I have a laptop that I take around with me on occasion, and my cell phone works just fine and includes texting.
            The reason for not having a tablet is more difficult to explain.  I guess it boils down to too many choices.  I just can’t make up my mind about which one I would want most.  I love the iPad, but I’m a PC user, so there’s the whole merging issue with Mac versus PC.  But the when I look at the other tablets, I can’t see a clear winner. 
            You may be saying if you’re still a PC user, why not go with Microsoft’s Surface RT.  There are still enough bugs that I want to wait a bit more and see what happens.
            Yes, I’m hopeless.  One stay I will venture into the same world that most of my friends live in, but for now, I’ll be that tech person who doesn’t have all the latest and greatest of gadgets because I can’t see the necessity of them for the life I lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment